Let’s get Physical
Dr. Victoria McArthur (Dr. Vic) has a passion for exercise, mostly the kind that is used for rehabilitation of muscle injuries, not the heavy weightlifting, crazy 6 days a week kind! Dr. Vic works with many seniors with the GLA:D program for knee and hip arthritis and chronic pain. Exercise has always been something humans do – now more than ever! But why is it such a trending topic? What are the actual benefits of movement and where does one even start? She talks about all that!
- 00:00:00 Previews
- 00:00:28 Introduction
- 00:02:24 Speaker Introduction
- 00:03:05 Outline for the day
- 00:04:02 Defining Exercise & Physical Activity
- 00:05:09 Types of Exercise
- 00:06:25 How much should I do?
- 00:08:54 Benefits of Exercise
- 00:24:16 Barriers with Exercises & Aging
- 00:29:34 Common Conditions of Aging
- 00:29:41 1. Diabetes & Neuropathy
- 00:44:20 2. Cancer Treatment
- 00:50:38 3. Dementia & Cognitive Delays
- 00:54:56 4. Osteoarthritis
- 01:00:16 GLA:D – Good Life with OA (in Denmark)
- 01:10:57 Wrap it up…
- 01:13:56 Where can I find more information?
- 01:16:16 Questions?
About Dr. Vic:
Dr. Victoria McArthur graduated from the University of Western States with her Doctorate of Chiropractic and Masters of Science in Sports Medicine in 2020 after completing her Bachelors of Kinesiology from the University of Calgary. She has completed training in Acupuncture and Dry Needling through the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College and intends to complete her Active Release Therapy training having now completed her Craniosacral Therapy Level 1.
Victoria’s focus is blending active rehabilitation, acupuncture, and chiropractic adjustments to benefit the patient as a whole. She believes that each patient is unique and there is not one “cookie cutter” approach to treatment. Victoria assesses the complete kinetic chain and applies treatment to areas of dysfunction in the spine, extremities, and/or soft tissues. Her passion lies in adolescent athletics and the impact sports has on the body in the long term. Her passion projects include providing medical coverage for various hockey teams in Calgary, volunteering with the Canadian Ski Patrol, and working sporting events around Calgary.
Victoria is a retired athlete, having played college level volleyball in Halifax, NS. Growing up she was active in her community with soccer, volleyball, basketball, skiing, mountain biking, and hiking. When not at the clinic, Victoria can be found exploring in the mountains, floating on a lake, reading a good book, or adventuring with her family and their dog, Bella.
- Dr. James Haxton: New Frontiers in Treating Neuropathy
- Cassie Askew: Athletic Therapy
- Dawn Ross: Part 2-Core Stabilization & Balance
- Improving Function With Dr. James Haxton
- Tracy Rand: Exercise with Fit2Age
Put your gratitude to work!