Massage Therapy & Neuropathy
Jessica Villeneuve, RMT, CPMT explores how regular massage can help decrease pain, numbness and other neuropathic symptoms, while also allowing for both better mobility and sleep post treatment.
- Topic Timings:
- 00:00:00 Introduction and Overview
- 00:06:21 What is Massage Therapy
- 00:11:31 Why does Massage Therapy work for Neuropathy
- 00:17:17 What to look for in an RMT
- 00:24:49 What your appointment should look like
- 00:45:35 Myths around Massage Therapy and Neuropathy
- 00:53:15 Injury Caused Neuropathy
- 01:03:07 Neuropathy due to Chemotherapy
- 01:07:59 Diabetic Neuropathy
- 01:34:36 Idiopathic, Genetic & Alcohol/Toxic Neuropathy
- 01:24:27 The Mental Health Aspect
- 01:36:08 Things to consider
- 01:37:08 Where to find a Massage Therapist
Jessica Villeneuve, RMTJessica Villeneuve has been a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) for over ten years, having completed her post-degree program in Massage Therapy and successfully completing board certification exams with the College of Massage Therapists of Ontario before moving to Alberta to begin her practice.
Jessica was a member of the Board of Directors of the Massage Therapist Association of Alberta for 3 years, holding the position Vice-Chair and spearheading the MTAA School Approval Program to raise the standards of education for Massage Therapists in our province. She has also represented the MTAA as the Vice-Chair of the Transitional Council for the future College of Massage Therapists of Alberta (TC-CMTA) and currently sits of the Working Group for the Regulation of Massage Therapy in Alberta. Jessica is passionate about the regulation of the profession in this province to ensure safe and effective care for Albertans.
Jessica has been both an Instructor and Program Coordinator for massage therapy schools in Alberta and is the creator of her own continuing education courses for health care providers. She has presented to a variety of patient populations, healthcare providers and government officials.
Jessica founded her company, Same Stars Wellness, in 2013 to provide ethical treatments to both pediatric and adult patients with complex conditions such as neuropathy disorders, cerebral palsy, mixed abilities, palliative care, oncology, migraine disease and chronic pain
Jessica is a patient advocate, a chronic pain sufferer herself and believes that care comes not only in the form of treatment, but from listening, validating and supporting.