Watch Dr. Olga DeSanctis, MD and Faraz Sachedina in exploring the fundamentals of medical cannabis such as plant types, cannabinoids, products, and intake methods. Learn more about how and why cannabis works within the human body, with a special focus on neuropathic pain.
- 00:01:57 Agenda
- 00:03:37 Neuropathic Pain
- 00:06:42 How Is Pain Felt
- 00:08:53 Classifications of Pain
- 00:10:39 Mechanisms of Neuropathic Pain
- 00:11:11 Endocannabinoid System
- 00:12:23 Types of Cannabinoids
- 00:13:31 Cannabinoids and Endocannabinoids
- 00:14:16 CBD
- 00:14:59 THC
- 00:16:48 Endocannabinoid System
- 00:17:16 Why is CBD Non-Impairing
- 00:21:31 Interference With Inflammatory Cascade
- 00:22:35 CBD and Anandamide
- 00:23:59 Recap
- 00:26:55 Global Task Force
- 00:27:55 Neurohormone Deficiencies
- 00:28:17 Endocannabinoid Deficiency
- 00:28:53 Cannabis and Neuropathic Pain
- 00:29:51 Practical Applications
- 00:31:41 The Entourage Effect
- 00:32:25 Cultivars/Strains
- 00:34:25 Main Categories
- 00:35:07 Forms of Products
- 00:37:18 Pharmacokinetics
- 00:38:37 Intake Methods
- 00:40:47 Cannabis Safety
- 00:42:50 Side Effects
- 00:44:15 Contraindications
- 00:46:25 Recap
- 00:48:23 Medical Vs. Recreational
- 00:53:18 Conditions
- 00:54:01 Connect With Us
- 00:54:35 References
Dr. Olga De Sanctis, MD
Dr. Olga De Sanctis joined Harvest Medicine in 2017 as a practicing physician and cannabis consultant. In 2019 she was promoted to Medical Director and continues to support patients to better health with medical cannabis therapies. Prior to her outstanding work at Harvest Medicine, Dr. De Sanctis owned and managed a large Family Practice, Calgary, Alberta for 28 years. Dr. De Sanctis graduated from Concordia University Montreal, Quebec with a BSc Honors Biochemistry. She went on to complete her medical degree from the Cummings School of Medicine (formerly University of Calgary Medical School) and a fellowship in Family Medicine at the University of Ottawa Medical School. Dr. De Sanctis also has certifications from the Medical Cannabis Institute, Post Graduate Institute for Medicine and CanREACH Primary Pediatric Psychopharmacology Mini-Fellowship.
Faraz completed his medical training in Europe, USA and Canada, bringing a vast array of experiences from different perspectives to his repertoire. In December 2020, he also completed the Michener Institute Cannabis Education Certification. Recently appointed Vice President, Medical Clinic Operations at Harvest Medicine, Faraz Sachedina has continually shown his dedication to patients and their continuity of care. Faraz is passionate about sports & rehab medicine and how medical cannabis has been shown major benefits in the recovery side of therapy. After being involved in research with the US fencing team, sports nutrition and traumatic brain injury, Faraz has switched gears, including a research approach, in adjunct to key partnerships within the medical field to help provide resources to this growing therapeutic field.
The Calgary Neuropathy Association appreciates the support provided by the team at Harvest Medicine in giving this presentation and allowing us to share it with you. Please feel comfortable accessing their many online resources:
To view this Patient Journey slide in more detail, please click here.
For more information about Harvest Medicine and this presentation please click here.
We can’t do it alone
and none of us is meant to.