I’d rather have a vet for a doctor, they know more about chronic pain– Donna Piercy, Chronic Pain Specialist, Chronic Pain Sufferer
The question asked most often at the Calgary Neuropathy Association is what can I do to make my neuropathy pain better. Pain management tools for neuropathy relief is hard to find and more than likely its not one thing that will provide relief, it will be a combination of things discovered over time. The medical community offers no cure and often very little assistance out side of pain medications, but we at CNA believe each person can find their own way to relief by becoming their own experiment with a test subject of one!
Our featured resource for Pain Management is: Meditation for Skeptics. Why? Meditation, when practiced regularly has been proven to provide as much as 30% pain relief. That is as much relief as pharmaceutical pain medications are required to provide in order to be considered “successful”. Meditation is certainly not a quick fix, but it offers hope and help for many. As a side benefit, it also helps in other areas besides pain management, like mental health, clarity, brain fog, focus and emotional control. Check out Meditation for Skeptics if your looking for evidence meditation not just “woo, woo”.
100+ Things for Neuropathy Relief
This is a lot to take in so start with our highly recommended ** options (the ones with two asterisks). These things in particular are the self-care tools to consider first. We believe in these tools based discussions with people we’ve spoken to who have had success using them; and, these are the tools we’ve found the most supporting research for. These lists will keep growing, so keep checking back.
- #1 Cut Down Sugar **
- #2 Cut Down Salt
- #3 Cut Down Caffeine
- #4 Cut Down Alcohol **
- #5 Cut Out Artificial Sweeteners
- #6 Quit Smoking – Tobacco and Neuropathy
- #7 Avoid Harsh Household Products
- #8 Use Non-Toxic Nail Polish
- #14 Fight Pain With Magnesium
- #16 Antidepressants and Neuropathic Pain
- #17 Physiotherapy for Combating Pain
- #19 Massage Therapy
- #28 Capsaicin – Turn up the heat on Neuropathy
- #29 Acupuncture and Pain Relief
- #30 Grape Seed Extract for Neuropathic Pain **
- #32 Physiokey and Sanakey for Neuropathic Pain
- #35 Avoid Neurotoxic Medications
- #36 Medical Cannabis **
- #37 Chiropractic **
- #39 Visualization and Pain Management
- #46 Infrared Light Therapy
- #47 Journaling for Pain Management
- #54 Lidocaine – Numbing the Pain
- #55 Evening Primrose Oil – for pain relief
- #58 Analgesics for PN
- #61 Talking about Pain
- #63 Meditation for Sceptics **
- #64 Vitamin D helping on 2 fronts
- #65 Is PEA a Pain Option?
- #67 Hypnosis for Neuropathic Pain
- #68 Ketamine
CNA Guest Speaker Videos
- A chronic pain sufferer herself, Donna Piercy provides helpful insights into the importance of self-management and ways exercise and other self care activities can help both the mind and body when dealing with chronic pain. There are three parts to this video set. Starting with Pain Management with Donna Piercy Part 1.. read more
- Also see: Pain Management with Donna Piercy Part 2
Support of Neuropathy Education is Appreciated
If you are able, please help our education resources and programs grow.
Every dollar makes a difference
The CNA exists solely because of donations and fundraising. If you are able, any support you can provide is greatly appreciated. Please use the e-transfer option or click the button above if you can support us in our education and support efforts. All contributions go towards online and in person meeting expenses, the CNA Website, educational material development and distribution.